Sunday, 25 January 2015

Our student, Charlotte, speaks about her recent experience at MCLS

Mississauga Community Legal Services has given me an immense start-up to my paralegal career. The staff provided me with lessons that I would not have otherwise learned in a classroom and their values on integrity, selflessness and determination will stay with me throughout my career. 

My time at the clinic began as a volunteer Paralegal student, when I volunteered twice a week to complete my college placement hours. During that time I assisted staff with legal research, client follow-ups and telephone intakes. Given that this was my first exposure to clients in a legal setting, I was able to successfully practice and improve my client communication skills.

I was very fortunate to then return to the clinic as a Paralegal Summer Student, a position which was posted by Legal Aid Ontario. During this second experience, a Paralegal staff member trained me to manage ODSP intake appointments. The role included completing forms, outlining retainers and explaining the appeals process to clients.

My duties were taken a step further when I was trained to prepare clients for their Social Benefits Tribunal hearings. With the guidance of a staff lawyer, I was able to represent clients at their hearings by performing the direct examination and presenting the closing submissions. With this role, I had my own clients and was responsible for their files.

My supervisor, Janice Lepiten, encouraged my feedback and consistently tried to provide me with the work experience that I sought. She exposed me to immigration files and allowed me to observe and learn from her intake appointments. In particular, I assisted her with gathering legal research and had the opportunity to work on Humanitarian and Compassionate submissions.

On the lighter side of things, I cheered alongside the staff for Team Canada during the Winter Olympics and watched the figure skating medal finals with them. During the summer, we watched some highlight soccer games from the World Cup and we placed friendly bets on our favorite soccer teams. I even attended South West Clinic Training with the staff and sat alongside them in lessons about tenant hoarding and legal writing skills. 

Overall my time at the legal clinic was incredible. The real office experience I received was incomparable to textbook reading or mock trials. And I had the chance to be acquainted with some very kind-hearted, down-to-earth people. It was a privilege to temporarily work alongside the staff at Mississauga Community Legal Services and I should have liked it to never end. But wherever I may end up working, I will always remember and be grateful to the clinic staff.  

The legal clinic works hard for its vulnerable community members and works just as hard to mentor students. So I would strongly encourage other Paralegal students to volunteer their time and skills at a local community legal clinic, they will find that there is much to learn from the clinic system and its workers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment